What does the future of sustainability and social responsibility look like for commercial and domestic real estate?
In episode seven of our second series of Let’s Talk South Coast, our host Nella Pang is joined by Jonathan Trice, Director at Omega RE to talk about the impact that ESG and EPCs are having on both businesses and consumers.
What you’ll hear about in this episode:
- What ESG stands for and why it has been hitting the headlines
- How the increase in the level of choice for consumers means they are demanding their ethos is matched by the businesses they interact with
- Why companies are working towards B Corp certification and what it means for consumers
- The growing importance of ESG to investors
- The changes in the demands from tenants on real estate and how to adapt to this
- How the design of buildings is changing to incorporate more break out and collaborative spaces
- The increase Jonathan is seeing in use of sustainable materials and technologies
- The changes in EPC regulations that come into effect on 1.4.23 and what this may mean for both landlords and tenants
- Jonathan’s advice on what landlords can do to improve the EPCs
- How developers need to keep in mind their end client when building/renovating especially as they may be limited on what they can invest in based on EPC and ESG requirements
Key Insights From This Episode:
- I think from a general society perspective there is a move towards more corporate accountability, where large businesses are having to prove to their customer base that they are fulfilling staff welfare, they’re fulfilling their promises on sustainability. – Jonathan
- B Corp is a certification that companies can get that shows that they have changed or adapted the way that they do business to reflect a, a checklist of, of positive things. – Jonathan
- If you subscribe to the fact that tenants are your customer base, what the customer is demanding from his real estate is changing and you have to adapt to that. – Jonathan
- That’s what I’ve noticed the most is you’re seeing a lot of things that you would typically associate with office buildings coming through into industrial units and focusing on mainly sustainability. – Jonathan
- You’re certainly seeing in offices a lot more sophisticated building monitoring systems and readouts that show quality of air within the building, how much is being circulated, particularly how much energy the building’s consuming, and how that’s being mitigated through sustainable features of the building. – Jonathan
- So I think in order to be truly sustainable and really focused on these things, every decision has to be looked at through a sustainability lens. – Jonathan
About Our Guest:
Jonathan is the Director at Omega RE and has previously worked at both JLL and Knight Frank.
About Our Host:
I left the corporate world in 2020 and launched Omega RE a commercial advisory firm in a pandemic, whilst on maternity. Brave some people would say. 🚀
The pandemic has taught many of us a thing or two, particularly on how we can do business. I support businesses to navigate the complexities of Commercial Real Estate, so they can achieve their business objectives through their Real Estate decisions.
Lease negotiations can be a minefield. Even small mistakes can drive up costs. That’s why I will represent your interests every step of the way, ensuring you receive full value of our experience and market knowledge.
With over 18 years’ experience in the Commercial Property Market having worked for the big corporates Jones Lang LaSalle Limited, BNP Paribas Real Estate and Vail Williams.
I want to be able to share my corporate knowledge with my clients, whilst offering a more personal dedicated commercial advisory service.
Having acted for a wide range of clients from major pension funds to private investors, small businesses and individuals. I love meeting people and I am passionate about adding value to my clients business and watching their business thrive.
About Omega RE
Omega RE is a commercial property advisory firm based on the South Coast. Providing expert advice to Landlords, Occupiers in the industrial, office and retail markets.
Omega RE is always thinking ‘Outside the Box’ in our advice to clients and the way we do business. We don’t settle for mediocre, we challenge the norm and are dedicated to finding solutions that is best for our clients.
We are a people business, based on strong relationships and partnerships, and we offer a personal level of service.
As the market evolves, we will too adapt to be successful and want the same for our clients. We are committed to finding innovative ways of marketing and how to do things more efficiently.
We will never stagnate.
We are disciplined in everything we do, we take time to understand the situation and set a bespoke strategy for each client. Not one size fits all. We do not cut corners or take shortcuts and our integrity is undisputed.
Providing clients’ a hands-on approach to finding the perfect property; office, industrial, warehouse or retail space to meet business needs and negotiating the best commercial lease terms, is what we do best.
We come to work because we’re passionate about providing expert, innovative, independent advice to clients. We want to help businesses navigate the complexities of Commercial Real Estate.
Follow us on
Launch Your Own Podcast
A Podcast Company is the leading podcast production and strategic content company for brands, organisations, institutions, individuals, and entrepreneurs. Our team sets you up with the right strategy, equipment, training, and guidance and content to ensure you sound amazing while speaking to your niche audience and networking with your perfect clients. Get in touch email@example.com