Is there an inclusive entrepreneurial culture on the South Coast?
In episode four of our second series of Let’s Talk South Coast, our host Nella Pang is joined by Becky Lodge, Founder of StartUp Disruptors to talk about the support they are offering to neurodiverse individuals who want to start a business on the South Coast and the communities that have been created around this.
What you’ll hear about in this episode:
- How StartUp Disruptors was formed by 9 people in a Portsmouth pub
- How securing their first sponsor, Uber changed the business
- How technology has altered the way we all do business
- The different types of businesses Startup Disruptors help
- How they grew their online presence
- How important it is for them to build a sense of community so that everyone can feel included, no matter their background
- The work the company does around educating individuals who want to start their own businesses and offering them support and guidance to achieve their goals
- Why Becky thinks more VC should invest in women
- The £20k Startup Prize competition they are currently running and how businesses and individuals can get involved
Key Insights From This Episode:
- I love Portsmouth as a city and I love the South Coast. It’s an amazing place, but it never seems that we’ve done enough with our entrepreneurial communities to help them to thrive. There’s such a phenomenal rate of business setup and growth now that it’s something that we can’t ignore anymore, especially as future generations want to actually be their own boss for the first time and have more choice. – Becky
- You can literally have a mobile phone and start a business. You can have a Facebook page and easily trade up to £85k – Becky
- We’ve helped 5,000 people to start a business since 2016. – Becky
- We say to people, this is a community. In essence, we provide business support, mentoring and coaching. We do incubation. We do all of these fantastic things but primarily, this is about people feeling accepted. People feeling that they can come somewhere where they can be themselves. – Becky
- It doesn’t matter whether somebody wants a part-time side hustle, side gig, or to be the next Uber or Airbnb, we should have equity across the board and equality and parity. And that’s what’s been missing. And I think that’s what makes us very disruptive. – Becky
- I was told by my careers advisor that I would be lucky and I should be grateful if I would be a secretary or perhaps a department teacher. That would be the most that I could hope for back in, in the 80s and 90s. And I just sat there at the time and I thought, wow, what incredibly low aspirations we have for women. – Becky
About Our Guest:
Becky Lodge is Founder of Startup Disruptors the #1 digital support brand and award winning business incubator for neuro-diverse early adopters, pre-startup, start-up and small business owners in the U.K.
- Omega RE website
- Gunwharf Quays
- Apex Gallery
- Women in Innovation
- £20k Startup Prize Giveaway Competition
- Portsmouth Innovation Awards
- University of Portsmouth Business School
- School for Social Entrepreneurs
- Southampton City Council
About Our Host:
I left the corporate world in 2020 and launched Omega RE a commercial advisory firm in a pandemic, whilst on maternity. Brave some people would say. 🚀
The pandemic has taught many of us a thing or two, particularly on how we can do business. I support businesses to navigate the complexities of Commercial Real Estate, so they can achieve their business objectives through their Real Estate decisions.
Lease negotiations can be a minefield. Even small mistakes can drive up costs. That’s why I will represent your interests every step of the way, ensuring you receive full value of our experience and market knowledge.
With over 18 years’ experience in the Commercial Property Market having worked for the big corporates Jones Lang LaSalle Limited, BNP Paribas Real Estate and Vail Williams.
I want to be able to share my corporate knowledge with my clients, whilst offering a more personal dedicated commercial advisory service.
Having acted for a wide range of clients from major pension funds to private investors, small businesses and individuals. I love meeting people and I am passionate about adding value to my clients business and watching their business thrive.
About Omega RE
Omega RE is a commercial property advisory firm based on the South Coast. Providing expert advice to Landlords, Occupiers in the industrial, office and retail markets.
Omega RE is always thinking ‘Outside the Box’ in our advice to clients and the way we do business. We don’t settle for mediocre, we challenge the norm and are dedicated to finding solutions that is best for our clients.
We are a people business, based on strong relationships and partnerships, and we offer a personal level of service.
As the market evolves, we will too adapt to be successful and want the same for our clients. We are committed to finding innovative ways of marketing and how to do things more efficiently.
We will never stagnate.
We are disciplined in everything we do, we take time to understand the situation and set a bespoke strategy for each client. Not one size fits all. We do not cut corners or take shortcuts and our integrity is undisputed.
Providing clients’ a hands-on approach to finding the perfect property; office, industrial, warehouse or retail space to meet business needs and negotiating the best commercial lease terms, is what we do best.
We come to work because we’re passionate about providing expert, innovative, independent advice to clients. We want to help businesses navigate the complexities of Commercial Real Estate.
Follow us on
Launch Your Own Podcast
A Podcast Company is the leading podcast production and strategic content company for brands, organisations, institutions, individuals, and entrepreneurs. Our team sets you up with the right strategy, equipment, training, and guidance and content to ensure you sound amazing while speaking to your niche audience and networking with your perfect clients. Get in touch firstname.lastname@example.org